Rejecting a blanket ban on the sale and use of firecrackers, the Supreme Court (SC) on Tuesday said that only ‘green’ firecrackers producing less pollution will be sold.
However, a group of activists had appealed to the top court for a total ban on crackers since it increases the pollution levels.
Here are some major statements on the SC’s order:
- Prior to Diwali, SC allowed the manufacture and sale of “green” crackers which have low emission.
- A time period of 8 pm to 10 pm is fixed by the apex court for bursting of crackers on Diwali.
- However, it restricted e-commerce websites like Amazon and Flipkart from selling crackers.
- SC said that e-commerce websites will be pulled up for the contempt of court if they don’t stick to the directions.
- Also, it said selling of series crackers or ‘larries’ will not be permitted in the country.
- Selling of only crackers with permitted decibel sound limits will be allowable in the market.
- Station House Officers (SHOs) of the concerned police station will be held accountable if any banned crackers are sold in their particular areas.