It’s official! For the very first time in 30 years, there will be no host at the Oscars.
The head of ABC, which airs the Academy Award ceremony, confirmed the news on Tuesday.
ABC entertainment president Karey Burke said, “The February 24 event would forgo a host and just have presenters host the Oscars.”
Initially, Comedian Kevin Hart was chosen as the emcee but he pulled out in December following backlash over his homophobic tweets.
However, no replacement has announced, and there had been no official statements on how the ceremony would proceed.
The role of the Oscar host has interestingly been called Hollywood’s least wanted job as there are very few hosts who have emerged unscathed from the ceremony.
Speaking just 3 weeks before the highest honors in the movie industry are handed out, Burke told this year’s decision not to have a host for the show was taken after what she called “the messiness” over the Hart withdrawal and an attempt to revive his chances.