This year, Raksha Bandhan and Independence Day are on the same day, August 15.
Raksha Bandhan is a festival to celebrate the relationship between a brother and sister inculcate a bond of protection between them.
Predominantly, it is a north Indian festival however, it is also celebrated across the country in different ways.
It is alongside Narali Purnima or the coconut day festival in Maharashtra.
On the other hand, in Odisha and West Bengal, it is celebrated as ‘Jhulan Purnima’.
In Haryana, amulets are tied on the wrists of people to ward off the evil.
In addition, the festival coincides with Upa-Karma, a sacred day where Hindus of the Brahmin caste change the scared thread worn around their body and start to recite the scriptures again.
Celebrating the day as Kajri Purnima, farmers sow wheat in their field.
The ‘bond of protection’ or ‘tradition of Raksha Bandhan is that sister tie rakhi, a sacred thread, around their brother’s wrist and in return, brother promises to protect them.
Moreover, the festival is known as Rakhi Purnima, celebrated on Shravan Purnima, which is the last day of Shraavana, a Hindu calendar month.
May you all have a Happy Raksha Bandhan!
Here are some Raksha Bandhan wishes that you can send to your sibling:
- On this Raksha Bandhan, I pray to God to bless you with a beautiful and prosperous life. Sending warm heartfelt wishes to you on Rakhi..Happy Raksha Bandhan 2019!
- You are the most amazing sibling and I wish you lots of love and all the best wishes on this Raksha Bandhan!
- It is all blue, the sky is hue, dear darling brother, I love you!!!
Happy Raksha Bandhan 2019!
- Dear brother, on this Raksha Bandhan I want to say that you are the best brother and you mean the whole world to me. Happy Raksha Badhan!
- I pray for your happiness and long life, dear brother. Happy Raksha Badhan!!
- Sending prayers and my best wishes. Happy Raksha Bandhan.
- My lovely sister, I love teasing you and love to pamper you. May we keep growing our bond of love. Love you, behena (sister).